Monday, March 27, 2006

I-185 Extension (I-81 re-designation), I-30 Extension (Atlanta Outer Perimeter)


I-81 and I-30 at Atlanta (North and West segments for Atlanta Outer Perimeter)

View Larger Map

Start: I-30 @ I-20 at East of Atlanta
to I-30 @ I-81 East of Rome
End: I-81 @ I-85 West of Newnan

Est. Length: Included in I-30 and I-81

Benefits: Economic Growth, Environmental/Fuel, Population Centers, Existing (Proposed) Interstates

Connecting: GA: LaGrange, Newnan, Carrollton, Rome, Cartersville, Canton, Buford, Auburn, Winder

I-30 Intersections: Wrens, GA; I-20, Thomson/Wrightsboro, GA; I-85, Suwanee, GA; I-575, Canton, GA; I-75, Cartersville, GA; I-81, Rome, GA.
I-81 Intersections: I-85, Newnan, GA; I-20, Waco, GA; I-30, Rome, GA.

Description:
Loop Interstate-285, the 63-mile Atlanta Perimeter, opened in 1969 to serve as a bypass for inter-city travelers on I-85, I-75, and I-20. As the Atlanta metropolitan district has grown, I-285’s purpose has shifted to serve primarily as an important intra-metro highway for the Atlanta metropolitan district. While necessary and important, this dual purpose creates severe congestion and hazard for drivers and contributes to poor air quality and poor fuel consumption. An Outer Perimeter to divert inter-city traffic as a means to alleviate congestion has been discussed in the region for several years.

While a project such as an outer perimeter for Atlanta benefits regional populations with improved traffic flow for inter-city travelers, the project is perceived as an Atlanta special project. By routing the new I-30 (currently proposed I-3) and extending I-185 (to be re-designated I-81) from Newnan to near Chattanooga, the two projects together provide northern and western segments for an outer bypass around Atlanta. Though improving traffic conditions on I-285 and benefiting Atlanta, the Atlanta Outer Perimeter project, because of its positive impact on regional Interstate traffic, becomes justifiable to support from other jurisdictions in Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, Tennessee and elsewhere throughout the south.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The cost of building an interstate through the southern Appalachians in northern Alabama and northern Georgia, alone, make the extension of I-30 nearly impossible. I do like the continuation of I-81, though. What do you think of running I-81 from Johnson City, Tenn. (where it intersects with I-26), and co-joining I-26 south to Asheville, NC? It could then split off to Augusta, Ga., and continue southward to Savannah/Hilton Head (leaving the existing I-81 portion in Tenn. as a spur). This would eliminate the "need" for that ridiculous I-3 proposal the powers that be came up with not long ago.